Books for Writers
- On Writing by Stephen King
- “The Writer’s Home Companion: An Anthology of the World’s Best Writing Advice, from Keats to Kunitz,” edited and with an Introduction by Joan Bolker.
- The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr.
- Every Page Perfect: A Full-Size Writer’s Manual for Manuscript Format & Submission Protocol by Mary Lynn
- Method and Madness: The Making of a Story by Alice LaPlante
Websites for Writers
- The Purple Crayon (focused mainly on children’s writing; includes a “who’s moving where” page to tell you where your favorite editor is currently located)
- Margot Finke’s Secrets of Writing for Children
- Verla Kay’s Website (a lot of information on writing for children)
- Holly Lisle’s Website (focused on science-fiction and fantasy, but contains useful information for just about any writer)
- Jeffrey A. Carver’s Advice for Aspiring Writers
- Neil Gaiman has collected dozens of useful sites, including great advice from Teresa Nielsen Hayden, an editor at Tor Books
- Author Cynthea Liu has a “crash course” for children’s writers
- www.critters.org is a well-run critique group for writers of science-fiction, fantasy and horror. They also have a great list of resources for writers here.
Quotes for Writers
“With the proceeds of my last novel, I purchased a small handbarrow, on which my guests’ luggage is wheeled from the station to my house. It needs a coat of paint. With the proceeds of my next novel, I shall have it painted.” — Henry James
“Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can see only as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.” — E.L. Doctorow
“I never met a writer who wanted to be anything else.” — Natalie Goldberg
“When you say something, make sure you have said it. The chances of your having said it are only fair.” — E.B. White
“The most heroic thing a creative person can do is live an orderly life so that the work can get done.” — Cary Tennis
“The only way to write is well and how you do it is your own damn business.” — A.J. Liebling